rather than 的用法
rather than 意为“而不是”、“而没有”，侧重客观上的差别，还可以表示“与其……，倒不如（或宁可）……”，侧重句子主语或说话人主观上的选择。句中 rather than 前后一般应为名词、代词、动名词、形容词、谓语动词、动词不定式、介词短语，甚至分句等。下面分别举例说明。
1. He is an artist rather than a politician. 他是位艺术家，而不是***家。（与其说他是***家，倒不如说他是艺术家。）
2. We ought to invest in new machinery rather than building.
3. I would buy a computer rather than a motor bike. 我要买台电脑，而不是摩托车。
1. It ought to be me rather than you that sign the letter. 在信上签名的该是我，而不是你。
2. The person who should be praised is you rather than me. 该受到表扬的人是你，而不是我。
1. I always prefer getting up early rather than going to school without breakfast.
2. He enjoys reading rather than watching TV. 他喜欢读书而不喜欢看电视。
3. He was engaged in writing rather than reading the newspaper.
1. I call her hair chestnut rather than brown.
2. Taking exercise every day makes him look younger rather than older.
3. The colour seems green rather than blue. 这颜色好像是绿的，而不是蓝的。
1. She telephoned rather than wrote. 她打了电话，而没有写信。
2. She cried rather than smiled. 她哭了，而不是笑了。
3. He would die rather than give up smoking. 他宁死也不愿戒烟。
1. I decided to write rather than （ to ） telephone. 我决定写信而不打电话。
2. She likes to keep things rather than （ to ） throw them away.
3. Rather than go there, I'd prefer to stay here on my own. 我宁愿一个人呆在这儿，而不愿去那儿。
1. I'd prefer to go in summer rather than in winter. 我宁愿夏天去，而不愿冬天去。
2. We'll have tea in the garden rather than in the house.
3. She is reading in the library rather than in the classroom.
1. John went to the seaside yesterday rather than he went where he often goes.
2. You should help me rather than I should help you. 你应当帮我，而不是我应当帮你。
使用 rather than 时，还应注意以下两点：
1. rather than 很像并列连词。其前后都应是相互对应的词语，但接不定式时，常可省去不定式符号 to 。
2. rather than 也可分开使用，和 would 或 had 构成“ would / had rather … than ”结构， than 前后也是相互对等的结构。试比较：
（ 1 ） She would rather have the small one than the large one. 她宁愿要小的，也不愿要大的。
（ 2 ） Tom would rather be liked than feared. 汤姆宁愿受人爱戴，而不愿让人惧怕。
（ 3 ） Wouldn't you rather be liked than feared? 你不是宁愿受人爱戴，而不愿让人惧怕吗？
但当 would rather 被用作谓语动词后接宾语从句时，从句中的谓语动词应为虚拟形式。例如：
I'd rather you came tomorrow than today. 我宁愿明天来，而不是今天来。[@more@]
来自 “ ITPUB博客 ” ，链接：http://blog.itpub.net/11122431/viewspace-968029/，如需转载，请注明出处，否则将追究法律责任。